Summary: in this tutorial, we will introduce you to Python programming language, its advantages, and disadvantages.
Python is a general-purpose, high-level, and dynamic computer programming language. The idea of Python is to emphasize the code readability. Python combines remarkable power with very clear syntax. Python supports various programming paradigms including object oriented, functional programming, and imperative. Python also fully supports dynamic type and automatic garbage collection for memory management.
- Python is readable. Python is easy to read and fast to write. Unlike other popular programming languages, Python uses indentation for block delimiters to improve its readability. The readability reduces the maintenance costs and increases programmer’s productivity.
- Python is powerful. When you install Python, you have almost everything in place including a large reusable standard library, which covers everything in various application domains from file management to database connection. In addition, Python is very stable, reliable, and well-supported product by an active community. There are big companies such as Google, Yahoo, Industrial Light & Magic, etc., are using Python for their critical applications. You can find all of them in organization using python section.
- Python is cross platform. Python is a remarkable cross-platform language. Python can run on various platforms such as Windows, Linux, UNIX, Mac and so on. Python is interpreted language; therefore, Python code can run on any platform that has Python interpreter installed without modification of the code.
- Python is free. Python was developed under the open source model so it is freely available. You can use Python to develop commercial application free. The Python license is administered by the Python Software Foundation.
- Python is not as fast as C/C++. Python is not fully compiled language. It uses an interpreter to interpret the code to executable code. You will see that applications developed in Python will run slower than applications written in C/C++.
- Python does not check variable type at compile time. Python uses dynamic type so flexible that Python interpreter cannot check the type for mismatch at the compile time.
- Python library does not have almost everything. Even though the Python’s library support is excellent, Python library does not have almost everything like C/C++, C#, Java and Perl.
We are glad that you choose Python as a programming language to develop applications. We hope with our Python tutorial, you will learn not only the Python language but also how to develop excellent Python applications for your projects.
Happy programming with Python, have fun.